Forum Discussion

30 days ago

Create a LogicModule status alert

Release notes have been including notice about deprecated logicmodules and indicated replacements for a while and this is great.

I would like to request that consideration be given to what I think would be even better.  A few ideas:

1. the current way that replacement modules are presented in the Release Notes (side by side columns limited by screen real estate and page layout) can make it tedious to conclusively determine which module is the replacement since often the text of names wraps to additional lines.  So finding some way change to change this presentation that shows an unequivocal 1:1 relationship between a deprecated module and its replacement would be awesome.   
  2. If you navigate to MyToolbox and select a module, the bottom half of the screen opens with details about this module.  There is a tag present that says "In Use".   Maybe another tag could be created that says "Deprecated" and clicking on it takes you to the replacement module?  In the reverse direction, if you navigate to the Exchange and select a module, maybe there could be a "Replacement For" tag, that if clicked upon takes you to the module/s that it replaces?
  3. What about if there was some way to create an OOB filter & Saved/Favorite view in My Toolbox that presents a list of deprecated modules, each with a clear mechanism that matches it to its replacement?
  4. Find some way to generate an alert (probably even with its own icon/color to give it maximum distinction in the Alerts Tab/table) when a module's status changes to 'deprecated' and have the alert message text includes exact replacement module details (Origin ID?) 
  5. Maybe an OOB dashboard with a widget that dynamically populates a table when a Logicmodule in My Toolbox status changes to "deprecated" and includes its replacement?

8 Replies

• Michael_Dieter wrote:

If you navigate to MyToolbox and select a module, the bottom half of the screen opens with details about this module.  There is a tag present that says "In Use".   Maybe another tag could be created that says "Deprecated" and clicking on it takes you to the replacement module?  In the reverse direction, if you navigate to the Exchange and select a module, maybe there could be a "Replacement For" tag, that if clicked upon takes you to the module/s that it replaces?

The "Support" column shows either "Community", "Deprecated", "Official", or "Blank". Haven't seen any documentation around what they all mean, but the deprecated modules usually have that notated there. I love the idea of something pointing to the module that replaces it.

Michael_Dieter wrote:

What about if there was some way to create an OOB filter & Saved/Favorite view in My Toolbox that presents a list of deprecated modules, each with a clear mechanism that matches it to its replacement?

I do this today. I have one called "Deprecated - In Use":

• Skipped: No
    • Customized: All
    • Support: Deprecated
    • Use Status: In use

And i have one called "Deprecated - Not In Use":

• Skipped: No
    • Customized: All
    • Support: Deprecated
    • Use Status: Not in use
    Michael_Dieter wrote:

Find some way to generate an alert (probably even with its own icon/color to give it maximum distinction in the Alerts Tab/table) when a module's status changes to 'deprecated' and have the alert message text includes exact replacement module details (Origin ID?) 

I used to do this with the old modules API endpoints that were undocumented. It would be nice if there were documented/supported endpoints for pulling this. I used to get alerts within the hour when pushes were made to the repo. Now, I have to have a scheduled task to go in and manually look at all my saved filters to see what might need my attention.

Michael_Dieter
      Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte

Stuart you are an on-point power user in a way that I cannot be 😀

All of your suggestions are available now to ID those that are deprecated but what would really make things better is the second part of my ideas -->an (unambiguous/unequivocal/stupid simple easy button) indicator to ensure the 1:1 relationship between the deprecated version and the version that replaces it, to lead me to selecting the right replacement.  I can filter My Toolbox for Deprecated, but I can't remember seeing any one of them cite the replacement.  I recently had a situation where I disabled alerting for a deprecated VMware datasource and installed what I thought was the correct replacement.  Turns out I was not paying close enough attention in my replacement selection off of the table in the Release Notes: I did not install the correct replacement so for a time we had no alerting.  Thankfully we noticed (just barely) before the lack of alerts caused a real problem.

Stuart_Weenig
        Icon for Mastermind rankMastermind
        Michael_Dieter wrote:

Stuart you are an on-point power user in a way that I cannot be 😀

haha, thanks. Just means that we are both experiencing the same issues. It was honestly embarrassingly simple to build that stuff. The only problem was that it used undocumented/unsupported endpoints that eventually stopped working as the toolbox started taking precedence. LM should have built it out of the box.

Michael_Dieter wrote:

All of your suggestions are available now to ID those that are deprecated but what would really make things better is the second part of my ideas -->an (unambiguous/unequivocal/stupid simple easy button) indicator to ensure the 1:1 relationship between the deprecated version and the version that replaces it, to lead me to selecting the right replacement.  I can filter My Toolbox for Deprecated, but I can't remember seeing any one of them cite the replacement.  I recently had a situation where I disabled alerting for a deprecated VMware datasource and installed what I thought was the correct replacement.  Turns out I was not paying close enough attention in my replacement selection off of the table in the Release Notes: I did not install the correct replacement so for a time we had no alerting.  Thankfully we noticed (just barely) before the lack of alerts caused a real problem.

Yes, the idea about linking the deprecated version to the new version would be awesome. FWIW: we haven't updated vmware monitoring nor meraki monitoring in almost a year. Still waiting on  answers and answers from LM for the VMware stuff.

mray
    Icon for LM Conqueror rankLM Conqueror

Michael_Dieter I really love all your suggestions! I agree that it would be nice to not have to navigate away from the portal to find replacements for deprecated modules -- it should just say it in the details panel.

In case any one is reading along and wants some support pages for ref, here's the doc on the Modules: https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/modules-overview 

There are actually a few docs about the Modules page --> 

This page is also super helpful: https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/modules-management 

For deprecated modules, this is currently the go-to page for ref: https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/logicmodules/about-logicmodules/deprecated-logicmodules 

Seconding Stuart_Weenig's helpful filter views. IMO, we should have some out-of-the-box filters already in place for users as a starting off point. 

For anyone reading along and agreeing, please feel encouraged to submit some product feedback. You can submit feedback from within your portal in the 'Support' menu from within the portal.

• FWIW: we haven't updated vmware monitoring nor meraki monitoring in almost a year. Still waiting on  answers and answers from LM for the VMware stuff.

Well that's super cool.  Thanks for the heads up; I had not previously seen that thread.  In this case I can extricate myself from the rabbit hole (of which I was unaware that I was in) without too much damage done and observe the progress on the that thread before choosing to proceed with more replacements.