Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Monitoring Linux systems using SSH

We request another way for Logic Monitor to gather information from Linux based systems besides SNMP. Using SNMP involves installing NET-SNMP so taking up additional storage space. It would be better if Logic Monitor had an option for monitoring Linux systems like we had using Sitescope. In Sitescope all it needed was SSH and a dedicated login credential for the system. The Monitor would connect to the Linux based system through SSH and run scripts pertaining to what aspects were monitoring on that system. Then stores the results to be displayed on the console. Similar to using WMI in Windows.

18 Replies

• Hi Kerry

I had a look there first and the only ones starting with 'Linux' in my list are:

Linux Disk Inodes
    Linux_Sensors_Fans
    Linux_Sensors_Temperature
    Linux_Sensors_Voltage

Do I need to look at a different server than v128.core.logicmonitor.com ?

• They should be available for all accounts - I would try reaching out to our chat support - they should be able to help with this right away.

If you run out of luck there, let me know and I can grab those locator codes for you.

Thanks,

Kerry

* Just in case, I went ahead and grabbed these. FYI though, the latest/ greatest will always be the repository (!)

Module Name Version Locator Code
    Linux_SSH_CPUCores 1.2 HTHH4C
    Linux_SSH_CPUMemory 1.1 C3KH9F
    Linux_SSH_Filesystems 1.1 EJHMRX
    Linux_SSH_NetworkInterfaces 1.2 E693TD
    Linux_SSH_NetworkTCPUDP 1.1 CLMGCE
    Linux_SSH_Uptime 1.1 7ADDAY
  • Thanks Kerry, turns out my problem was er... me.

I didn't realise that someone else had already added them and I wasn't aware they no longer appear in the repository if they're already added XD

• I successfully added datasource Linux_SSH_Filesystems on Linux server. But not able to provide ssh username and password anywhere. Is there anything that we need to do.

• Hi,

Currently starting the implementation of Logicmonitor in our organization, replacing an old agent based monitoring tool. Probably one of the main reasons to select LM has been the agent-less monitoring capabilities.

SNMP based linux monitoring is not an option for us, neither installing LM collectors in each monitored server.

So with current SSH based Linux datasources we miss important required capabilities:

- Linux text log monitoring: Basically, we need to be able to monitor specific log files in a target server for the appearance of specific error patterns on them, and raise an alert in case any of this error occurs. The rule to trigger the alarm must manage the triggering of the alarm depending on the recurrence of the errors and probably other rules. The datasource should be able to manage checkpoints in order to be aware what was the last log line read ensuring that always read only new content in monitored files.

OS process monitoring: we need to be able to monitor the presence of OS processes and if the number of processes instances required are in execution and probably other rules.

Thanks.

Raúl

• On 4/18/2020 at 8:30 AM, Murali said:

I successfully added datasource Linux_SSH_Filesystems on Linux server. But not able to provide ssh username and password anywhere. Is there anything that we need to do.

You would add the ssh.user and ssh.pass as properties to the device or group that contains the device. You can see the link for details but basically choose the device/group and then the Manage button, on the bottom will be a section for Properties.

https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/getting-started/advanced-logicmonitor-setup/defining-authentication-credentials

Anonymous
    On 4/18/2020 at 1:55 PM, raul.rtr said:

Hi,

Currently starting the implementation of Logicmonitor in our organization, replacing an old agent based monitoring tool. Probably one of the main reasons to select LM has been the agent-less monitoring capabilities.

SNMP based linux monitoring is not an option for us, neither installing LM collectors in each monitored server.

So with current SSH based Linux datasources we miss important required capabilities:

- Linux text log monitoring: Basically, we need to be able to monitor specific log files in a target server for the appearance of specific error patterns on them, and raise an alert in case any of this error occurs. The rule to trigger the alarm must manage the triggering of the alarm depending on the recurrence of the errors and probably other rules. The datasource should be able to manage checkpoints in order to be aware what was the last log line read ensuring that always read only new content in monitored files.

OS process monitoring: we need to be able to monitor the presence of OS processes and if the number of processes instances required are in execution and probably other rules.

Thanks.

Raúl

This has been split into a href="https://communities.logicmonitor.com/topic/5606-monitoring-linux-systems-using-ssh/" rel="">this thread.