Forum Discussion

elisa_olivieri
Icon for LM Conqueror rankLM Conqueror
2 months ago

Uptime Availability Reports Filtered By Location

A feature request that has been raised to my attention is the option for consolidating resources to be displayed as a whole, per location, for data purposes.

For example, having devices at the same location that will display the total uptime for that site.

3 Replies

• You mean taking the minimum uptime of devices at a site and using that to represent the site uptime? That will get super complex real quickly. What if it's a device that doesn't actually impact the site because it's a leaf node and not a branch that the entire site depends on?

This should take the topology knowledge we have and use it to determine uptime by branch. It would even be better visualized by having the branches indicate their uptime. Of course this would require LM spend a little time (a lot of time) improving their topology coverage to catch up with other monitoring tools that have mature coverage for topology discovery.

Right now, it seems all LM wants to do is cover the topology of Kubernetes and improve the icons in the UI. I get that and maybe most of LM's customers are K8s customers, but most of the market out there isn't. They're still using technology their familiar with. And for MSPs like us, we don't choose to use K8s or not, it's our customers. And most of our customers are not using new technology, they're still using simple on-prem networking, hosting their own datacenters. This is the coverage that needs to expand in LM. We've had LM for 2 years and still advertise our mapping/topology features available in LM as beta features, not guaranteed to work or even be correct.

• Also, you know that feature requests in the community go nowhere. Submit this through the product or it will get no attention. (Submitting through the product also gets no attention, but that's at least the way LM has said features have to be submitted to even get considered)

pgordon
      Icon for Advisor rankAdvisor

Yes - I love not having to worry about maintaining servers for monitoring and I love having access to support technicians that are competent, but I still don't see feature parity with our previous monitoring platform, Solarwinds, and it's kind of frustrating.
      The reporting experience in Solarwinds is much better and I see no signs of reporting getting any improvements in LM in the near future. Right now I can't get the bandwidth report to output data in an order that makes sense; I've had technicians look at this with me several times starting during our POV and every time it ends with "put in a feature request" for something as basic as sorting by alphabetical or numerical order.
      There are other basic things I could get from Solarwinds that just aren't as simple to get in LM right now too. My onboarding tech definitely tried their best to replicate some of them, but the limitations just make it too convoluted to make them happen right now (in my opinion). It's useful to have a routing table or a list of what VLANs are on what ports. It's useful that there is a basic credential manager so I can see some stats on where different credentials are being used on what and just update them in one spot. The screens for devices and interfaces letting me put whatever I want on them wherever I want is nice too. 

Didn't mean for this to become such a rant, however I do feel like I was there was a lot of promises for some of these things and I just am not seeing the progress on them I'd hoped for