Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Speedtest Option

It would be nice if we had a way to invoke a speedtest and record the data pulled down.  This could easily be done using a powershell script and a datasource but I'm still fairly new to logicmonitor so creating a data source isn't really something I'm good or comfortable with.

• Looks like I might be late to the party... but I also built a speed test that uses Akamai to see how long it takes to download the 10Mb file.

WALDXL - Download Speed

This datasource will run a PowerShell script that downloads a 10MB file and then figures out the speed in Mbps that it was downloaded. 

CAUTION: This datasource will download a 10Mb file for every Windows machine specified in the applies to field(default is not applied),every poll(deafult is 20 minutes), depending on your environment this could raise the price for your monthly ISP bill. Specifically, if your ISP speeds ramp up when needed.

I would recommend applying this to: hasCategory("speed") and isWindows()

Then, of course, you just need to add the system.property of speed to any Windows machine you want to monitor Download Speed on.

image.png

• Hey Anthony - sorry for the delay here - I've been traveling this week and out of the office, I'll check with our datasource team about getting this approved ASAP.

• On 11/8/2017 at 9:32 AM, Kerry DeVilbiss said:

I just published a really simple PowerShell DataSource - SpeedTest - that downloads a file from Akamai and measures the time it took to download. I think I'm getting accurate data in my lab but you'll want to test this, of course. Mike might have something better so we'll see what he adds, but in the meantime, check it out... (you'll need to update the AppliesTo field - such as a Windows collector for best chances of success.)

Locator code for "WAN Speed Test" is YTFWWC

I'm getting this error when I try to import this datasource: 

"503 : This LogicModule is currently undergoing security review. It will be available for import only after our engineers have validated the scripted elements."

Is there an ETA on when this will be available for import? I'd like to test it out. Thanks.

(excuse my double post)

• I'm getting this error when I try to import this datasource: 

"503 : This LogicModule is currently undergoing security review. It will be available for import only after our engineers have validated the scripted elements."

Is there an ETA on when this will be available for import? I'd like to test it out. Thanks.

• I just published a really simple PowerShell DataSource - SpeedTest - that downloads a file from Akamai and measures the time it took to download. I think I'm getting accurate data in my lab but you'll want to test this, of course. Mike might have something better so we'll see what he adds, but in the meantime, check it out... (you'll need to update the AppliesTo field - such as a Windows collector for best chances of success.)

Locator code for "WAN Speed Test" is YTFWWC

Mike_Suding
    Former Employee

I helped get this working. I will develop a simple variation and post a solution.