Forum Discussion

David_Bond
Icon for Professor rankProfessor
10 days ago

Feature Request: Instance Expressions

We have build a tool, deployed in many LogicMonitor accounts to automatically configure monitoring and alerting off for SNMP_Network_Interfaces where device matches an AppliesToFunction and the Interface name or Description fields matched (or does not match) a regex.

For example, with the following instances on CORE_SWITCH_01, alerting is either enabled or disabled, based on whether the description OID has the word "Monitored" present.  Note that GigE-1/2/6 is not discovered because it has not been up within the last 30 days.

1. [✓] TenGigE-1/0/1 (Monitored WAN Interface)
  2. [✗] TenGigE-1/0/2 (Unused)
  3. [✗] GigE-1/2/1 (Workstation)
  4. [✗] GigE-1/2/2 (Workstation)
  5. [✗] GigE-1/2/3 (Workstation)
  6. [✗] GigE-1/2/4 (Workstation)
  7. [✓] GigE-1/2/5 (Monitored Access Point 1)
  9. [✓] GigE-1/2/7 (Monitored Access Point 2)

Here's the problem...

As soon as someone plugs a workstation into GigE-1/2/6, it gets discovered by Active Discovery.  As soon as the unplug it, the instance starts alerting.  The only thing that we can do about that is to REMOVE the filter for down devices and re-run the tool.

So far so great - the customer is happy.

BUT LogicMonitor should have this capability built-in.  It should be possible to automatically have Alerting Enabled expressions applied to instances at the DataSource level.  These expressions should by in an appliesToFunction-like language, and have access to all Resource and Instance custom, auto and inherited properties, as well as wildvalues, resource name, description etc.

So... our feature request - please add both "IsEnabledExpression" and "IsAlertingEnabledExpression" capabilities, so that we can solve the (well-known and hated!) SNMP_Network_Interface issue for good.

• Yes - this is a nagging issue for me as well since I don't always get notified when there will be changes. I don't want the alerts coming up for someone unplugging their laptop every day on a port that was never used before. I do want to be able to look at the data on about that port though if an issue comes up in the future.