Forum Discussion

11 years ago

VMware - vCenter view of VMs - what host they are on

Within the interface there is a nice long view of VMs when you are looking at a vCenter system and are within the Virtual Machines datasource.

I assume the data is gathered already but it would be awesome if there was a dynamic update for the VM to know what host it is on as part of the display of that datasource.

Instead of:

dns01.dufus.devdns02.dufus.devdns01.dufus.proddns02.dufus.prod

How about:

dns01.dufus.dev (host01.cluster01.lcl)dns02.dufus.dev (host02.cluster01.lcl)dns01.dufus.prod (host01.cluster01.lcl)dns02.dufus.prod (host03.cluster01.lcl)

This would make further diagnosis easier as you jump around from vCenter to a host. When clusters are 8-20 hosts in size it can take a while to figure out where that guest lives and this would shorten that time quite a bit.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • We would also like to see this option.

We have users looking at CPU usage across hosts, and they want to be able to review the VMs on the host to understand which VMs are causing the high CPU usage.

• Just following up on this request, is this an item that could be added in a future release? When dealing with hundreds of hosts and thousands of VMs, it would be very beneficial to be able to track which VMs are on a specific host.

• Hi Gaston -

I'm currently rewriting the ESX VM datasource and will add the ESX host to the description field for the VM instances. It should be released fairly soon!

• @Gaston Gallant & @M Horwath I wanted to give you two a heads up that we've released new version of "ESX VM-" and "ESX VM Snapshots-" that have the ESX Host as an ILP for each VM instance. There are a bunch of other useful ILPs and you can group your instances by any of them!

Thanks for your patience on this!

-Michael

• Thanks for the info.  Is this in a new datasource we need to import from the LM repository? Or part of new collector or portal version?

• @Gaston Gallant These are new datasources, you'll just have to import from the repository. Since March 9th, we've released a refreshed set of VMware datasources, they all start with "VMware_". I recommend importing the new datasources into your account and disabling the alerts on the old "ESX" datasources to avoid duplicate alerts. You'll of course want to leave the old ESX ones around for a while so you don't lose your historical data.