Forum Discussion

Joe_Tran
Icon for Advisor rankAdvisor
6 years ago
Solved

Groovy Expect Scripting -- "]$" prompts

Most of the Linux environments I work with are RHEL or CentOS and our prompts look like: 

[username@hostname ~]$

I can't seem to find a prompt pattern that works for both the closing square bracket and the dollar sign when writing a script using the com.santaba.agent.groovyapi.expect.Expect package. No amount of escaping seems to work like '\\]\\$' or ']\\$'. I do need the multi-character prompt because the output I want to parse will include errant $, but not ]$. 

Multi-character prompts are generally not a problem because I often have to expect a sudo password prompt using a 'username:' pattern and this works without issue. 

Any ideas on how to tackle this?

• @Joe Tran you were close, you should be able to match it with this:

'\\[.*\\]\\$'

The expect() method actually takes a Java Pattern which is compiled down to a Regex object.

You can see if your Pattern converts to the expected Regex by using:

println Pattern.compile('yourpatternstring')

We should really add a method that takes a plain old regex, sorry for any confusion. Let me know if the above doesn't work for you.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • @Joe Tran you were close, you should be able to match it with this:

'\\[.*\\]\\$'

The expect() method actually takes a Java Pattern which is compiled down to a Regex object.

You can see if your Pattern converts to the expected Regex by using:

println Pattern.compile('yourpatternstring')

We should really add a method that takes a plain old regex, sorry for any confusion. Let me know if the above doesn't work for you.