Forum Discussion

Anonymous
5 years ago

16 SEP 2020 - LogicMonitor Basics Office Hours

Have questions about how to best use LogicMonitor? LogicMonitor experts are live to explain best practices and answer your questions. There are no planned topics as this webinar is a true office hours. Bring your coffee and questions!

Register here.

Anonymous

Q: How to disable logon to ESXi as root, but leave other polling enabled? I don't want it logon to ESXi at all. 
    A: 4:40
    OP: Thanks! I give it a shot. Trying to get rid of this...Remote access for ESXi local user account 'root' has been locked for 900 seconds after 65534 failed login attempts.

Q: Does LM offer monitoring for O365 Metric and provide a dashboard for daily reporting?  Also, is there a way to monitoring incoming and sending emails using a metric for a dashboard as well?
    A: 11:14

Q: Are dashboards unable to utilize instance properties?
    A: 13:16

Q: How do aggregate datasources work? I meant in datasources Collector = Aggregate data; add datasource, collector dropdown, aggregate data
    A: 15:21

Q: Can you go through the different sorts of datasources?
    A: 18:58
    Comment: Like what? You can query using a number of protocols (e.g. WMI, SNMP, Perfmon, etc.) but you can also run a Groovy or PowerShell script.
    OP: yup collection method of datasources, theres some of the obvious ones like Script, DNS, SNMP are alright but how does Internal work, webpage, datapump etc
    OP: whats different between of batchscript method and script, adv/disadv
    Comment: Groovy scripts only allow a subset of Groovy commands though.

Q: I am a CSP, can I use LM Cloud to monitor billing for other clients? The setup of lm cloud asks for offer ID and i can't find that on any azure client that has us listed as their CSP; Azure Billing Monitoring; CSP clients do not have an offer ID. CSP clients do not have an offer ID because CSP handles billing. It's in a screenshot in the steps under Getting Started: https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/lm-cloud/microsoft-azure/azure-billing-monitoring
    A: 27:55

Q: How to exclude 1 group from many on a table dashboard, instead of adding several groups to exclude 1?
    A: 33:41

Q: can we generate a tabular dashboard that shows bandwidth utilization and filter based on business hours? e.g. two columns in a table (avg. util, max. util) and just show data from 9am to 6pm?
    A: 38:05
    OP: thank you for answering and showing the avg. max. min.

Q: If I used Exchange to install a new datasource, is it a bad idea to return to the "legacy" add from repository method to update it?
    A: 41:30

Q: What application do you use to transcribe the recording?
    A: 50:47
    OP: Sounds time consuming.

Q: Have you heard any recent updates about collector support on Windows Server 19 ?
    A: 53:53
    Comment: Personally, I'd prefer support for PowerShell 7 before support for Server 2019.
    Comment: We are running a few collectors on 2019 and haven't had any issues.
    Comment: Docs page encourages not to use it....
    Comment: yet
    Comment: yup....server admins are pushing to get rid of our 2012s    live answered
    Comment: 2016 possible...they want to skip ahead and get to 2019
    Comment: We have had a few collectors running on 2019 for few months without any issues so far. we have a pretty large environment using a lot of custom wmi and out the box datasources

Q: With docker container collector, WMI is supported?
    A: 56:17

Q: How would you monitor a Cisco 4g add on card for a router to alarm when it is being used? It shows as port ‘cellular0/2/0’ and doesn’t have a MAC address so isn’t found in the interfaces.
    A: 1:05:07
    OP: Thanks, Stuart.  I am trying to use SNMP first, as most clients won’t let me get their SSH

Links shared through the chat:
    https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/monitoring/os-virtualization/esx-servers-vsphere
    https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/monitoring/applications-databases/microsoft-office-365-monitoring
    https://github.com/sweenig/monitoring-recipes/tree/master/DataSources/Groovy/Expect

Anonymous

Here's the video replay: