Forum Discussion

3 years ago
Solved

Collector Migration.

Hello All,

Can some one please share me document for migrating collector from one VM to other VM.

• Depends what you mean.  I just did migrations over the weekend between standalone ESXi hosts using ovftool. The perhaps simpler option is just to download the collector installer from the Collectors page and install that into a new VM with a fresh OS.  Note the former method will maintain all of your local customizations (like any special programs or scripts) since the Collector download does not include those AFAIK.

2 Replies

• Depends what you mean.  I just did migrations over the weekend between standalone ESXi hosts using ovftool. The perhaps simpler option is just to download the collector installer from the Collectors page and install that into a new VM with a fresh OS.  Note the former method will maintain all of your local customizations (like any special programs or scripts) since the Collector download does not include those AFAIK.

Anonymous
    On 3/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, mnagel said:

the Collector download does not include those

That's correct, it doesn't include those, which is why the recommendation is to avoid those if possible (if possible). 

Yeah, the easiest thing if you have just a standard collector is to shut down the services on the old machine and install the same collector on the new machine as @mnagel mentioned.